Founded in 1910, the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organisations unites the action and prayer of 100 member Catholic women’s organisations around the world in order to promote the presence, participation, and co-responsibility of Catholic women in the Church and society in order to enable them to fulfill their mission of evangelisation and to work for human development.
• Promote the formation of women in order for them to face contemporary challenges
• Foster awareness and respect of cultural diversity
• Promote and coordinate the activities of Member Organisations at the international level and represent them in international bodies
• Network with other international organisations and faith communities for the respect of human rights, especially those of women
• Encourage ecumenical and interreligious dialogue.
Currently, WUCWO has almost 100 Member Organisations representing each populated region of the world. WUCWO's Board is composed of elected members of these organisations and an Executive Committee. The Board also includes representatives of Caritas Internationalis, ACISJF and UISG, the Secretary General, as an ex-officio member, and the Ecclesiastical Assistant.
WUCWO also has presence at several international agencies with designated International Representatives at the United Nations Economic and Social Council (New York), the Human Rights Council (Geneva), the FAO (Rome), participatory status at the Council of Europe (Strasbourg) and is an official partner of UNESCO (Paris).
All Catholic organisations that are recognised by the competent ecclesiastical authority, are politically independent and whose aims coincide with those of WUCWO. They should always be represented before WUCWO by a woman who takes part in the management of their organisation.
WUCWO is a Public International Association of the Faithful and as such adheres to the Magisterium of the Church and focuses on promoting Catholic social teaching. It keeps its autonomy with democratically elected officers and with the activities it promotes. Thus, WUCWO participates in the life and mission of the Universal Church.